Sunday, October 30, 2011

MY DVR: An Overview

I have 35 TV shows on my DVR.  I have them in order so that the most important one always tapes if there is any overlap.  I thought it might be fun to share them with you in order.
Hot redhead?  Yes please!
1.        True Blood:  This is Mymissy’s favorite show.  She asks very little of our relationship, so I suppose I can put her first on the DVR.  I love it too.  It is the first example I noticed of an "overpacked" show.  I will be writing a longer post about this phenomenon later, now that I have another example, American Horror Story.
2.       WWE Raw:  I’ve been a huge wrestling fan for 30 years.  This is the only essential wrestling show on TV.
3.       How I Met Your Mother:  I’ve been following Ted’s quest for love since the first episode.  I love the comedy, and the heart that was shown last season.  I’ll watch this one even after it starts to suck.
Evil Wil
4.       Big Bang Theory:  Another show I’ve been watching since the beginning.    This one has the potential to jump the shark at some point, but it has Wil Wheaton!
5.       American Horror Story:  This show just gets better each episode.  If you aren’t watching, start!  Check out my review of the pilot here..
6.       Fringe:  Fringe is amazing.  I just posted a recap here.  If you aren’t watching it, you should.



7.       Grimm:  The pilot was fantastic.  It has the potential to be a favorite.  It’s scary and looks like it will have a rich history.  I’m excited for the next episode.
8.       Parks and Rec:  This is probably the best sitcom on TV.  I’m not as involved with the characters at the ones above, but it is consistently awesome.
9.       Community:  Another low-rated show like P&R.  Great characters that you really fall in love with.  Some bizarre plots, but those are often the best episodes. 
10.   Raising Hope:  This sitcom is uproariously funny in parts.  The cast is amazing.  It’s a little wackier than most shows that I like, but it hits me just right.  It’s got a great cast too.  Kate Micucci from Garfunkel and Oates is in it! 

11.   Beavis and Butthead:  Mike Judge has brought them back!  It’s pretty cool.  Heh heh.  Yeah, yeah it rocks!  I can say “fire” now!  Fire.  Fire!  Fiiiiire! 

12.   Haven:  Review here.. 
13.   The Walking Dead:  I’ve been stockpiling a few episodes because I know when I start to watch them, I’m going to want to watch another right away, so I haven’t watched any of season 2 yet.
14.   WWE Tough Enough:  This is the only reality show on the list.  Even Mymissy got sucked in.  I hope it comes back again.
Look out for kidnappers!
15.   WWE Smackdown:  Even the lesser wrestling show is still important.
16.   Modern Family:  Another sitcom I’ve been watching since day one.  It rarely disappoints.  Even the Teenager likes it.
17.   Castle:  I’m a season behind on Castle, so I need to watch season 3 before I can even start on the season 4 I’m got recording.  It’ll be a while.
18.   Once Upon a Time:  I don’t know if this will last, but I'm liking it so far.
19.   Real Time:  This is Bill Mahr’s talk show on HBO.  So much liberal talk crammed into an hour.  Almost always entertaining and infuriating.
20.   Falling Skies:  this was a summer show for TNT.  It stars Noah Wiley and is about the human resistance to an already completed alien invasion.  By episode 3, I was completely hooked!  If you didn’t catch it, go out and find it before the next season starts in spring.
Dr. Carter kicks ass in this one.
21.   The Office:  A show I probably watch more because I feel invested than because I consistently like it.  Mymissy really doesn’t like the humor of uncomfortableness that is The Office’s stock and trade.  This season it seems to be lessening a bit.  Frankly, I like it more than I have for a while.
22.   Up All Night:  Mymissy checked out on this show, but I still like it.  I think it’s the only show on the list I watch completely without her.
23.   No Reservations:  Mymissy doesn’t like it too much, but I love Anthony Bourdain’s take on the world of food and travel.
24.   Brad Meltzer’s Decoded:  Decoded is a show where author Brad Meltzer sends a team out to investigate secrets from American history.  If you like the movie National Treasure or The DaVinci Code, this is the show for you!
25.   Storage Wars:  A cable show about the guys who buy storage units.  I suppose it’s kind of a reality show, but I don’t think there is a lot of reality to it. 
26.   Terra Nova:  Check out my review here.  Still very worthwhile to watch.  I think the mystery is just beginning with this one. 
27.   Diners Drive-in, and Dives:  I used to be obsessed with this show and Man Vs. Food.  But after a trip to Cleveland planned around the restaurants showcased on this and other shows, my taste kind of waned for it a bit.  I still check in to see if there are any local places to check out.  We loved the Jearsy Café in Fishers.
Penny Can!
28.   Cougar Town:  I just realized today that I hadn’t been taping this and 30 Rock.  If that is the case, I must not be missing it too much.  I dropped 30 Rock from the queue, but kept this one on.
29.   New Girl:  Zooey Deschanel’s new sit-com.  The jury is still out on this one.
30.   Dark Matters:  This show uses dramatic re-enactments to highlight true scientific experiments that had strange results or consequences.  It is VERY melodramatic and chock full of terrible re-enactments, but I think it is kind of doing it on purpose.  It takes itself so seriously, that I think it’s actually supposed to be silly.  Maybe it’s just unintentionally funny.  Either way, if you need a spooky Theremin fix (and really who doesn’t?) this show will provide.

31.   Mysteries at the Museum:  This a cable show that shows artifacts from various museums and talks about their histories.  Sometimes it is too melodramatic and with overblown reenactments, but the topics and artifacts are interesting.
32.   Subugatory:  Mymissy and I are banking several episodes of this before we watch it.  I think it’s going to be great though.
33.   Allan Gregory:  This is Jonah Hill’s cartoon.  It hasn’t debuted yet, but it looks pretty funny.
34.   Man Vs. Food:  This used to be a perpetual favorite, but as host Adam Richman and I both have expanding waistlines, it feels a bit irresponsible.
Maybe I do know what I see in this show.
35.   Whitney:  I don’t like this show, yet I feel like it will be good soon.  It kind of reminds me of the first season of Seinfeld, where the writing is there, it’s just waiting for the cast to arrive.  I can hang on to a show like that.  Two Broke Girls had the opposite problem.  The cast was good but the writing was soooo bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment